Alexander Romanovich Belyaev was born (4) on March 16, 1884 in Smolensk, in the family of a priest. In 1901 he graduated from the Smolensk Theological Seminary. But he did not want to become a priest and therefore entered the Demidov Lyceum in Yaroslavl. After the death of his father, he had to make a living by drawing, playing the violin and private lessons.
After graduating from high school, he became a good lawyer, acquired his clientele. His affairs were going well, he often traveled abroad. But in 1914 he leaves everything and devotes himself to writing.
When he was 35 years old, he fell seriously ill (tuberculosis of the spine) and was bedridden for six years, of which he spent three years in a cast. But he managed to recover and return to a fulfilling life.
At first he lived in Yalta, worked as a teacher, a criminal investigation officer, then moved to Moscow and again took up jurisprudence, continuing to write. In the 1920s, he wrote such famous novels as “The Island of the Lost Ships” and “The Amphibian Man”.
In 1928 he moved again, this time to Leningrad, and already completely plunged into literary activity. Interested in the problems of the functioning of the psyche, he writes the novels “The Head of Professor Dowell”, “The Lord of the World”, “The Man Who Lost Face”.
In total, Alexander Belyaev is the author of more than twenty stories and novels, several dozen stories, many essays, essays, reviews, critical articles, plays, publicistic works.
When the Great Patriotic War began, the writer refused to evacuate from besieged Leningrad. On January 6, 1942, Alexander Romanovich Belyaev died. The location of his grave is unknown.